Wednesday, December 23, 2009

French Café in Milwaukee

Last night W and I went to the village in Wauwatosa, a suburb of Milwaukee, for dinner at a small café called Le Reve. The ambiance is similar to that which one might find in Paris. There are small tables, albeit not as small as in Paris, close together but not as close as in Paris. The menu is very complete with many choices ranging from dinners to salads to sandwiches to appetizers to desserts. They also serve breakfast although I did not see that menu. The woman who owns the restaurant was a former pastry chef for Sanford D’Amato. She left him and decided to open this café in the Village.

Interestingly enough, after perusing the menu, both W and I decided on the same sandwich – Croque Monsieur. This was toasted French ham and cheese with Gruyere Bechamel on country white bread. The ham and cheese were grilled with the cheese baked on top. It would be hard for me to describe how fantastic this sandwich was and how filling. Both of us ate just ½ sandwich and we took home the other halves which JK heated up and promptly enjoyed when he got home. I also had some pommes frites (fries) left over which JK loved as well. These were thin and crisp, served with a garlic aioli – delicious. We were too full for dessert but W bought a pecan sticky bun for JK and I bought a little coffee cake for me to eat for breakfast today.

This morning I enjoyed that coffee cake with two cups of hazelnut coffee made with W’s new Keurig coffee maker. What a great dinner and breakfast. This is a keeper, one I will visit every time I come back to Milwaukee which I hope will be in the summer rather than in December.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good to me. The Hazelnut in the new Keurig (glad you got it, W.) is my favorite coffee.

    Bj

    ReplyDelete