Friday, June 10, 2011

Les Sisters Southern. Kitchen and BBQ

I have had a great urge for fried chicken.  I went to a restaurant some days ago and had what could be called mediocre, if I was to be generous, fried chicken.  However, today we went out to Chatsworth because for years I have wanted to go to Les Sisters.  I had heard that I could get some great fried chicken as well as real soul food.  I had become acquainted with soul food when I worked at the Welfare Department in Milwaukee.  Often the other workers would bring in great homemade food for all of us to eat.  Sometimes they ordered delivery from Speed Queen which I also loved.  When BA and I traveled for a year in 1986, we spent the first months of our travels in the south since we left in January.  I became well acquainted with southern food, soul food and BA with Cajun food.  So I was very excited about going to Les Sisters.

BA, BN and MT joined me in my quest for excellent fried chicken.  Les Sisters is a very small restaurant, some would call a hole in the wall, but the inside is very cute.  There are paintings on the wall that represent New Orleans and more. But we didn’t go there to observe the décor.  We went there to eat and eat we did.

BN, MT and I ordered the regular fried chicken while BA ordered chicken jambalaya.  We did have to wait a while for our meals but it was worth it.  BN and I got all white meat and MT ordered all dark.  Our chicken was moist and the coating was crisp and flavored perfectly.  This is the best fried chicken that I have had since I ate my mother’s chicken which was always perfect.  Since we were there at lunch, the meals came with one side.  MT ordered potato salad.  She felt it tasted mostly of mayonnaise, probably because the potatoes were almost all mashed which she didn’t care for.  BN ordered blacked-eyed peas and rich which were delicious.  I couldn’t decide on just one side so I ordered two – candied yams which were just perfectly sweet and mac and cheese which I felt was a bit bland but the more I ate, the more I liked it.  We also got a corn muffin which we all declared was much too dry but had a good flavor.  BA said that her jambalaya was good but not great.  It had chicken, sausage, mushrooms, too many tomatoes and rice.  It was medium spicy and a bit greasy.

After finishing all my meal, I still wanted dessert since I saw they had peach cobbler.  BA and I shared the small but extremely tasty cobbler.  It looked different than the usual cobbler probably because it was scooped up from a very large pan.  The cobbler was about the only thing that I felt was priced a bit high for the size of the dessert.  I would like to go back because there were so many things I would also have liked to eat.  Smothered pork chops are a real favorite that I would love to try along with the collard greens.  I had iced tea and it was very good.  Soda is served in a can with a small mason jar while the iced tea is served with lemon in a very large mason jar.

Les Sisters is open Tuesday through Sunday for dinner, Tuesday through Friday for lunch.  Les Sisters is located at 21818 Devonshire in Chatsworth. The phone number is (818) 998-0755 and the website is http://www.lessisters.com/Home_Page.php .  This is not a place that serves salads and healthy food but it is a great place to get comfort food.  Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment