Monday, August 16, 2010

La Sandia at Santa Monica Place

Today we decided to go to the new Santa Monica Place.  It just opened last week and what a difference.  It is now an open mall with a layout that reminds me very much of Hollywood and Highland.  There are three floors that go in a circle with the middle like an open atrium.  Although the temperature at my house was 92 when I got home, it was 64 in Santa Monica with a thick marine layer.  This is a high-end mall with the anchor stores being Bloomingdales and Nordstrom, which isn't open yet.  Don't expect to find anything like Kohls at this mall.  The third floor is mostly dining.  Eventually there will be something called The Market with what appeared to be food stalls.  There is a food court with seating both inside and out. The food court had various cuisines and the food looked very good. Seating on the third floor allows guests to view the Ocean while eating which was hidden by the marine layer today. There are also some upscale sit-down restaurants.  We chose to sit down at what is described as a modern Mexican restaurant, La Sandia.

After a short wait, we were led to an inside table that actually feels like it is outside.  It has lots of natural light and long windows.  Immediately, our waitress asked for our drink order (iced tea for me, diet Coke for BK).  She returned with chips, a little thicker than I would like but not a drop of grease and very tasty with no apparent salt, excellent salsa with just enough spice but not too much and a small side order of very good guacamole which I ordered. 

For my meal, I ordered Tacos al Pastor - adobo marinated pork / grilled pineapple / onion / cilantro / salsa verde in three corn soft tortillas.  This came with refried black beans and Mexican rice.  Everything was cut in small pieces and the amount of rice and beans was also just the right size.  I am so tired of going to restaurants and having to order huge amounts of food which I can't finish.  I cleaned my plate. The pork was tender and tasty and the pieces of pineapple added a wonderful flavor. BK ordered Chipotle Barbecued Chicken Salad - grilled all natural chicken breast / crispy tortilla strips / pico de gallo / corn /Panela cheese / black beans / napa cabbage-romaine salad / cilantro ranch dressing.  Everything was very fresh and BK said it was very good.  Although we didn't order dessert, the waitress told us that the desserts are like small tastes but we were both too full for even a small dessert.  It took a little long for us to get our meal but one of the hostesses came over to say that our order was taking some time but would be out soon and it was.  My tacos were $9.50 and BK's salad was $12.  This is a restaurant which I would like to visit again

There are other interesting sounding restaurants in Santa Monica Place which I would also like to try.  I don't get there very often but I will remember this when visitors come as well.  We walked around the entire mall and then stopped in at the Ugo Cafe on the first floor where they have coffee, pastries and gelato.  After having a taste of the gelato, I ordered a kid's size raspberry and it was fantastic.  BK had a Napolian which she thought was delicious.  All in all, our trip to Santa Monica was an epicurian delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment