Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Resnick Pavilion and The Stinking Rose – a Garlic Restaurant

Yesterday BK and I went to a member’s only preview of the Resnick Pavilion, a new art gallery at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA).  There were three displays – a large area of fashion and textiles from the 1600’s until the early 1900’s – the center of the building which had ancient art from as far back as 1600 BC – and another very large area which had art from the Resnick residence of which most was from the 1700’s and earlier .  Although we both found much of it beautiful, none of these are of particular interest to either of us.  I can’t imagine having a home with all that art and this is only a sampling of what they have collected. I will post a few pictures on Facebook.

After we went to LACMA, it was time for lunch.  Neither of us were excited about the menu they had at the cafe and the last time we were there we went to the cafeteria and didn’t want to do that either.  So, we got into the car, drove to La Cienega and there was The Stinking Rose, a place we have often talked about but we never went there.  We parked on the street although there is a parking lot which does not have a valet during the day.  The decor is very interesting and I again will have pictures posted on Facebook.  We were seated in a somewhat covered area and were immediately given a large pitcher of ice water.  Someone came and lit a candle beneath the plate where the waiter placed delicious garlic rolls so they were warm throughout our meal.  Along with the rolls, we had a mixture of parsley, garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil.  We were quickly given our soda and ice tea and our order was taken.  The waiter said it would be ready in 10 minutes and it was.

 

BK ordered fish and chips.  I don’t know what kind of fish it was but it was huge and she said it was wonderful.  She was served enough garlic French fries to feed a family of four.  I tasted them and they were delicious – crispy on the outside and covered with garlic.  We took home enough so that BK had the same dinner at night and I ate the fries.  I ordered salmon which I could have had with any of four sauces.  I chose one with cherry tomatoes, roasted garlic and calamata olives.  It came with a pasta but I asked to substitute the garlic mashed potatoes and I wasn’t sorry.  The fish was tender and the sauce was extremely tasty.  I cleaned my plate.  The waiter brought us a dessert menu and we passed on the garlic ice cream, although one day I would like to try it, but we just couldn’t pass up the super sundae.  This was good but not worth the calories and fat.  With our check, we were given soft minty things to counteract all the garlic we ate.

The Stinking Rose is at 55 N. La Cienega in Beverly Hills.  The website is http://www.thestinkingrose.com/pdf/menu-la.pdf . This is not an inexpensive restaurant.  Our meals were $19.95 each with the dessert at $9.00 plus the cost of our drinks which were refilled without asking. I will definitely return because I like garlic.  If you don't like garlic, this isn’t the restaurant for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment