Thursday, October 7, 2010

Brent’s Deli – The Best in the Valley

After going to the doctor today and getting a great report, BK and I decided to splurge. Normally, BK cooks a very healthy meal for us – low fat, low sodium and low sugar. However, today we decided to eat lunch out and I told her it was her choice. She chose Brent's Deli in Northridge. We had been there many years ago and then we went a few months ago and loved it. We tried to go for our holiday meal but they were closed for the Jewish holiday so we went to two different delis at that time. None can compare to Brent's. This is a typical Jewish deli with huge sandwiches, matzo ball soup, and enormous desserts – just like New York or the Miami Beach that I remember.

We ordered one extra lean corned beef sandwich with potato salad and a small order of cheese blintzes (consisting of two blintzes) which we asked to be delivered as a dessert. Immediately after we were seated, we were asked about drinks – ice tea for me, diet Coke for BK. Then we were asked if we wanted pickles and I said I did. This was the only average part of the meal – the pickles. We were also brought 3 pieces of warm rye bread. Then our waiter brought our very lean, very large sandwich and two plates. BK and I each took half the sandwich, took out half the corned beef and then had a normal size sandwich. This was the leanest corned beef I have ever had. I prefer some with some fat but BK doesn't like that and I know the less fat, the better for me. We ordered extra lean and that is exactly what we got. The taste was wonderful with the corned beef and rye bread warm. We also shared a small potato salad which was the best I have ever had outside of BK's and my Aunt's. The waiter kept watching as we ate and as soon as the plates were cleared he brought the hot cheese blintzes. Brent's makes their own blintzes. They normally comes with sour cream and strawberry preserves. I asked for blueberry sauce instead of either of those. When I was young, my aunts took me to Miami Beach and they served cheese blintzes with blueberry sauce. I loved it and until now, never found any that I loved as much. I really can't describe these. They are filled with delicious, not too sweet, cheese and the blueberry sauce adds a perfect sweetness to the blintze. We were offered plain blueberries which would have been healthier but we chose the sauce and we weren't sorry. It was well worth it. When we had finished, we asked for a box for the rest of the corned beef and a couple of extra pieces of bread which our waiter brought to us quickly.

If Brent's was closer to my house, it would be the only deli I would ever go to. Jerry's, which is right near my house, can't compare. As with most delis here in LA or in New York or Miami Beach, it isn't a cheap eat. Our sandwich was $11.95 but we actually have 3 sandwiches out of one. I am still satisfied and think the leftovers will be eaten tomorrow. The two large blintzes cost $9.95. They have the usual huge menu with everything you might ever want. Brent's is at 19565 Parthenia St. in Northridge. They also have a restaurant in Westlake Village and can be found at www.brentsdeli.com . They have take-out and they deliver as well as cater. To sum up, in three words, we loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment