Monday, September 21, 2009

Las Vegas – September, 2009 (2)

After a pretty sound sleep, I was raring to go this morning. OK – let’s say after creaking my body out of the rather hard bed, I was raring to go this morning. We got moving quite early for us in Vegas (8:30 out and about) because we had decided to buy the $29.95 special buffet here at the Luxor. That meant that we would be able to go to the buffet all day long, come in any time and eat. We had decided this was a good deal and we would try it today so we wanted to get there early. One reason we decided on this is that it cost us almost that much for a lunch. Another reason is that we are not the eaters we used to be and so, although we like buffets, we never eat enough or we stuff ourselves. This time we wouldn’t have to stuff ourselves and we know we would get our money’s worth.

Well, the breakfast brunch was a real disappointment. If we would not have bought the day pass, it would cost $13.95. Having gone to many breakfast buffets here that are close to that price, we both felt this was inferior. I don’t remember everything I ate but all tasted OK. It was just that there weren’t the choices we expected. There were no made-to-order omelets, something we always expect. They had little bagels and cream cheese packets like we get at our free breakfasts at a Hampton Inn but there was no lox or no capers. There were plain all ready made plain omelets. They had tiny cheese blintzes that were quite good. There were nice desserts – donuts, sweet rolls - but Bonnie felt they tasted rather stale. If you are in Las Vegas, go to any other breakfast buffet – not this one.

I mentioned that yesterday I lost my shirt. It was a nice shirt – one I wear when I go out to a nicer place rather than a jean or khaki shirt. Bonnie suggested that I go back to New York New York and ask at security if anyone had turned it in. I thought that would be an impossibility but we went there. I went to security and the 55 year old security man (he volunteered his age after we sort of did some cutesy banter) called in and said they had a yellow plaid men’s shirt. I told him my shirt was yellow, green, blue and white stripes but the stripes are not all the same so maybe someone thought it was plaid. He said he would have them bring it up. I didn’t tell him my shirt is not a man’s shirt, especially when he said it is an XL. So, they brought up the shirt, rolled in a ball in a bag, and it was my not plaid, not men’s yellow, green, blue and white striped woman’s XL shirt that I love. And today, so far, I am ahead $15 so I am not losing my shirt. I am back!!!

Later, we went for lunch to the lunch buffet. This was much better as there were many choices. They had various ethnic stations. I did not care for the Chinese egg roll or fried rice but I did like the chow mein soft noodles. Bonnie really liked the meatballs. I liked the Mexican food. The desserts were small, which I like on buffets, and very good. We both especially liked the chocolate mousse. They have a very small salad bar with few made salads and not much to put on the lettuce as well. This is due to their remodeling the salad bar so, if anyone comes here in a few months, I would imagine that it would be completed and there would be more salad. The lunch meats looked good but we didn’t have any. Lunch, for $14.95, is well worth it. I hope tonight they have carved meats.

I went to the pool and it was just wonderful. I didn’t go in the pool but I did go in the spa and sitting around the pool was so relaxing. I may go tomorrow also.

I will continue this after dinner.

I am stuffed. I will never do this again. Meaning I will never get the buffet special. I have no self-control. I ate so much today that my loosest pants are tight. Dinner is well worth the price. They have made-to-order steak, which I did not have because there was a line waiting, and excellent, tender prime rib done rare as I like it. The steaks were being grilled on a flame and so if you wanted the prime rib cooked more, they would put it on the flame and cook it. There was peeled shrimp, carved turkey breast, much more salad, BBQ ribs and chocolate lava cake, a favorite of mine. They had some of the same food from this afternoon but there was enough more to make it a different buffet for us. We went at about 8:00 and when I went for dessert, it was very empty. Since the buffet is open until 10, I thought that was not very good. The ice cream and frozen yogurt left a lot to be desired. Otherwise, it was well worth the $19.95 that they charge. The whole thing is a good deal except for the overeating part. I feel there are truly many other buffets that may cost more but, if one wants a buffet, they are wonderful – the Paris for one.

Tomorrow we are going to drive to the Rio but not having any more buffets. I will not be writing any more posts from Las Vegas as I will not have access to the Internet. I have lost $9.50 today but I got my shirt back. It was a good day.

1 comment:

  1. I had to read this comment twice (was reading outloud to Evie):

    "So, they brought up the shirt, rolled in a ball in a bag, and it was my not plaid, not men’s yellow, green, blue and white striped woman’s XL shirt that I love."

    I thought you had NOT gotten your shirt back because I kept reading it as "it was NOT MY plaid, not men's yellow..." Finally I noticed I had reversed those two words and got it right! Dyslexia anyone? LOL

    ReplyDelete