Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Last day in Las Vegas – September 23, 2009 (4)

The best laid plans of mice and whoever – we didn’t go to the Paris. I was ready to leave the city but I wanted to go to that café. When we left the Luxor – a hotel where we will never return – we saw a lot of traffic on the Strip. They are, for a change, constructing and so many lanes are closed. I looked at that and decided to leave the city. I had been asked to review some out-of-the way places in Las Vegas so we decided to look for a place for breakfast. Bonnie took out Jack (our name for our GPS) and found a place called the Original Sunrise Café. We hoped that the place still existed and that it really was a restaurant. If you are one who has read my travels before, you will know that Jack is not always accurate but that was not the case today. We were directed to a mini-mall and there was a small restaurant with people sitting outside and enough people on the inside as well for us to take a chance.

The Original Sunrise Café has no ambiance but it doesn’t need it. They were voted one of the healthiest restaurants in Las Vegas. Don’t think this is health food place because it isn’t. However, they offer healthier choices. That doesn’t mean we chose the healthy way. Bonnie had The Original which is a sandwich on a Kaiser roll. Cut the roll. Put one egg fried with the yolk broken hard. Top that with American cheese, although she had a choice of maybe 6 different cheeses. A sausage patty topped with another egg and another American cheese and topped off with the top of a very good Kaiser roll. She loved it! This came with quite good shredded potatoes. I had the Complete Breakfast with two basted eggs done perfectly, Canadian bacon, the non-greasy shredded potatoes and a toasted Sesame seed bagel with cream cheese. I was given a choice of bacon, Canadian bacon, or sausage. I was also given the choice of potatoes or fruit. The coffee was also excellent.

The Original Sunrise Café doesn’t look like much but it is really a very good place for breakfast and probably other meals as well. This very unassuming restaurant is located at 8975 S. Eastern Ave in Las Vegas, the actual city rather than the strip. In fact there was not one slot machine in the place. Our bill, including tax, came to a little over $20. It is south of the city which makes it somewhat, but not really, on the way. Use a GPS or mapquest or google maps and remember that it is in a mini-mall. This was a great way to end our over-eating trip.

I was so satisfied that I drove all the way home without stopping which is unusual for me. I am glad to be home and will especially like going to sleep in my comfortable bed.

1 comment:

  1. That is probably a place the locals know and the tourists never see! A good discovery. I know I asked you about the off-the-beaten-path places, but I was entirely forgetting that I do not like road trips and when we go to Vegas we always fly, but we don't rent a car. So, unless we change that pattern, we probably won't see the Original Sunrise Cafe, but I was glad to hear about it :)

    ReplyDelete