Monday, August 17, 2009

Daily Grill

On Sunday evening, after a very interesting lecture, B and I and two friends went for dinner to Daily Grill in Studio City in a mini-mall at the corner of Laurel Canyon and Ventura Boulevard. We were there a bit early (5:00 PM) and were immediately seated. We ordered our drinks (3 Diet Cokes and 1 iced tea) and then perused the menu. This is also a restaurant that I have been to many times so I knew their menu. I had been thinking about having fish. They had a parmesan crusted Alaskan halibut on their special menu that appealed to me. However, I became turned off to having any fish when I went to the rest room, passed the kitchen and the odor of fish was overwhelming. I am not a great fish eater and fishy smell or bones in my fish stop me in my tracks. One of my friends suggested that the smell came because they filet their fish and this was probably the stuff they threw away that smelled but that made no difference to me.

One of my companions and I chose a chicken quesadilla, hold the sour cream. It was delicious. There was plenty of cheese but not so much that the tortilla got soggy. All the chicken, and there was a lot of chicken, was entirely white meat and tender. The guacamole and salsa were very good. The only problem was that it was so big. Actually, we could have shared one but I, true to form, cleaned my plate – except for the lettuce. B had fish and chips which she said was delicious. B was unphased by the fishy odor. It was fried tilapia, fried golden brown and not at all greasy. There were three large pieces, one of which she brought home for Monday night dinner along with some of the fries which she also was unable to finish. I have had the fries at Daily Grill in the past and I also have always found them to be wonderful. Our fourth companion ordered the cheeseburger and fries. This is a 12 oz burger with cheese, lettuce, tomato and I can’t remember what else. She ordered it medium rare and that is exactly how it was served. She also was unable to finish the huge meal.

If I have any complaint at all, it would be that the portions are too large. I would like it if they, as well as other restaurants, would offer smaller portions at lower prices. Daily Grill is a bit pricey but they serve these enormous portions. Almost everyone leaves with a “doggy” bag. The Cheesecake Factory has the same problem – extra large portions and moderately high prices but they have started to have a menu of “small bites,” if I remember the name correctly, but the menu was limited. The Cheesecake Factory also has lunch size portions, which are still large but are a bit better, up until 5:00. The only thing that makes these large portions worthwhile is if they can be divided between two people or if half can be taken home for a meal the next day. But for people like me, it makes eating less much more difficult.

Having said that, I am still sure I will return to the Daily Grill because everything I have ever eaten there has been very good. By the way, they sometimes have specials and do send out a free, I think, birthday meal if you sign up for their club. Look online and check it out. http://www.dailygrill.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment