Monday, August 17, 2009

Hugo's Restaurant

Hugo’s Restaurant

B and I decided to have dinner at a place we frequent, Hugo's. We go to the one on Riverside and Coldwater Canyon because we often walk there. This time we drove. One reason for walking is the difficulty of parking. It is a popular restaurant and the parking lot is often filled. Luckily, probably because we were early on a Saturday night, there was parking space available. By the time we left, the lot was almost full.

Hugo's is not a place to go for a quiet, intimate meal. It can get rather noisy. There is a somewhat outside eating area which looks like a veranda around part of the restaurant and is enclosed when the weather is poor. We chose to eat indoors. Hugo’s has many choices including vegan, vegetarian and plenty for us carnivores. They also have numerous teas available. We were seated quickly and were served our Diet Cokes immediately. I had to search the menu because I wanted something I had never had before. They had a special menu but nothing there appealed to me. The waiter was very patient as he kept returning when it looked like I had decided. I finally chose Hugo’s shepherd’s pie with turkey. I had the choice of turkey, meat or tofu. B wanted her usual - Pasta Mama - which consists of pasta, eggs, lots of garlic, spices and parmesan cheese.

We were given warm multi-grain rolls which are always delicious while we waited. Our Diet Coke glasses were also refilled without our asking. When the food came, B said hers was as delicious as always. My pie was made up of turkey cubes, various vegetables (zucchini, broccoli, and more all diced in very small pieces), thin mushroom gravy all covered with mashed potatoes and melted parmesan cheese browned on the top. It was really lovely looking. I was also served a side salad, very large for a side salad, made up of various lettuces and covered with a very good vinaigrette dressing. I am not a salad eater unless there is a lot of stuff in the salad but I tasted this and really liked it. B and I shared the salad. The shepherd’s pie was excellent. It was tasty and amazingly light. Our portions were large enough that we both took home half our meals. When we heated them up the next day, they were still delicious.

Hugo’s is not cheap, as far as price goes. However, they use only quality ingredients and I have always felt the food was worth the cost. I would also recommend the hamburgers and the oatmeal frittata which is unique and wonderful. They have a full menu on line ( http://www.hugosrestaurant.com/ ) and also have a restaurant in West Hollywood. I will return many times again as I still have items I have not tried on this varied menu.

3 comments:

  1. Today we decided to walk to Hugos for lunch since it is an absolutely perfect fall day for Los Angeles. I again as last time wanted something different. BK, so predictable, picked the pasta mama as described above. They have a special menu in addition to their extensive regular menu and this time I found something I wanted to try. I picked the Very Green Protein Casserole (also offered as a burrito). Their discription is as follows: Green organic lentils cooked with roasted garlic, steamed leafy greens, guacamole and green rice layered in a casserole and topped with an avocado-tomatillo sauce and mozzarella or vegan cheese. Choose Organic mixed greens or crispy fries. I picked the mozzarella cheese and, of course, the fries. The very helpful waitress suggested that I have the sauce and the guacamole on the side because otherwise the dish cools quickly. I took her advice. This was a great meal. I added the guacamole as needed and skipped the sauce. This is another suggestion for a great meal. I think the prices are higher - this being $12.95. It seems steep to pay about $36 for 2 for lunch. But I love the place and will return again.

    ReplyDelete