Sunday, August 16, 2009

Coffee Fix

As you can see from my first blog, I have been searching for a topic to write about. This morning, while in the shower (the place where all my good ideas come from), I decided to, in my own way, follow Julia Child's idea. Write what you like to do the most. As I said before, I like to eat and I like to travel. So, for now, I am not traveling but I continue to eat and I really enjoy it. This will not be a Julia Child type of review because I have none of that kind of knowledge. I will just review what I feel about a restaurant I have been to. There might be some other asides as I tend to have flittering thoughts. So - here goes.

Yesterday morning B and I woke rather late. We were out of yogurt, a must for my usual in house breakfast of Cherrios mixed with yogurt. I had a library book that I wanted to return. (Here comes the aside.) After I retired, I decided that I wouldn't buy any more books. I have a household full of books which I refuse to ever give up. One reason for the library is that I really have no room for any more books. I also wanted to cut expenses which was really the least of my reasons. The biggest reason was that I am a procrastinator. I have at least three books at home that are partially read. The library gives me a time limit, something which I am obviously unable to give myself. All this leads up to my breakfast yesterday.

I wanted to return my book to the library and also get a walk in as well. The library is a little less than half a mile so B and I decided to walk to the library and stop at this little coffee place which is across the street from the library, Coffee Fix. The first thing I noticed was that there were a lot of people there -good sign. What I didn't notice was that there were no tables for us. They have about 7 tables, maybe 6 stools and a counter facing out the window, and maybe 4 chairs with 2 small tables outside which are not conducive to eating but are nice if you are just drinking coffee or one of the many other concoctions that they have. We stood in a short line and then ordered our breakfast: Bagel, lox and cream cheese for me; Scrambled eggs and ham sandwich on wheat toast for B. For regular coffee, they offer, mild, medium and dark blends. Both of us took the medium and were very happy with the coffee. We were not so happy when we turned around and realized there were no tables available. One of us could have taken a table when we came in but we were not that resourceful. We unhappily went outside and sat on the surprisingly comfortable chairs but the tables were too low and too small for comfortable eating. Luckily, just before our food came, a family started to leave so we were able to get a table indoors and that was fine. My breakfast consisted of a nice warm, sesame seed bagel with just the right amount of cream cheese and plenty of lox. Too often bagel places put a whole glob of cream cheese on the bagel and so I usually order it on the side. In fact, most often B and I can share one order of the cream cheese but here it was perfect. It also came with some onion, tomato and cucumber. I prefer my sandwich without the vegetables on it. I do like capers with the lox but that wasn't an option which was fine. The lox was extremely tender and delicious. The only minor complaint that I might have was that the tomato wasn't really ripe and had little or no flavor as I would have eaten it on the side. B said her sandwich was delicious, nothing at all that she would change. The waitstaff were extremely friendly. They have a few English items there and one was a pot of PG. Sitting in the restaurant, I came up with all sorts of obnoxious things that could be but when I asked, I found out it was the name of a British tea.

I am not going to rate any of the restaurants on a scale. What I will say is that this is one that I will definitely return to. To pay $5.95 for bagel, lox and cream cheese, I think is a real bargain these days, especially for one that was as good as this. The Coffee Fix is on Moorpark near Whitsett, across from the Studio City Library. If you are in the neighborhood and want some coffee, I highly recommend this little coffee shop.

6 comments:

  1. I will be the first to comment. I love coffee so please take me there next time I visit.
    W

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely will and thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My current favorite cereal is a mixture of Cheerios and Cocoa Puffs. If you like chocolate covered pretzels or chocolate covered graham crackers, this is vaguely (very vaguely) reminiscent of those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately, I also look at sugar content in cereal and I thnk cocoa puffs would go over my limit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it probably is too much sugar to be healthy, but this is my evening cereal, no chocolate in the morning one. Not sure why that would make any difference, lol, but I have my principals ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could eat chocolate morning, noon, night and anytime in between.

    ReplyDelete