Monday, August 24, 2009

Shiki Sushi

If you like sushi and you are in the valley – Studio City to be exact – during the lunch hour, make sure you go to Shiki Sushi which is hidden in the back of mini-mall off Ventura Boulevard, east of Coldwater Canyon just past Sportsman’s Lodge. They have a sushi lunch that ranges in price from $7.95 and I think the highest one was $14.95. Come hungry and be prepared to eat some of the best sushi I have eaten.

As usual BK and I (I now use the initials BK because there are many people who have name starting with B) ordered Diet Coke. This time we were given a 12 oz. can that cost $1.50. Sure beats the one we had last week which was smaller and more expensive. I would still prefer the glass that can be refilled. BK ordered that $7.95 lunch (main dish being a shrimp tempura roll) and I ordered the $10.95 lunch (main dish being rainbow roll).

We started out with a bean sprout salad of sorts and miso soup. For the first time that I can remember, BK finished the soup. It was salty but that is what miso soup is. There was no tofu in it but there were a few rice noodles, some spinach and a little onion. There seemed to be something wrong with the way they served our food. After the soup and bean sprouts, we got a salad consisting of lettuce and one tomato soaked in French dressing. That we didn’t care for. It would have been fine if there was less dressing. Then I got my next course, three pieces of sushi – one piece of tuna, one piece of yellowtail and one piece of salmon. It was terrific. The fish that they put on top of the rice was huge, well over the ends of the rice, and it melted in my mouth. BK watched me eat. We waited for some time when our waitress came with BK’s second course and her entrée. Her second course, a California roll – 8 pieces, and her entrée, shrimp tempura roll of 6 extra large pieces was brought all at the same time. And I sat with nothing. And I waited as BK was thoroughly enjoying her meal. Finally, the waitress came over and told me that my rainbow roll would be out soon. It wasn’t too long before I had it and it was wonderful. If you don’t know, a rainbow roll is a California roll with strips of tuna, yellowtail and salmon on the top. It was huge and just wonderful. I ate every bit as did BK.

This food is a bargain and it is excellent sushi. I am not a connoisseur never having been to the really expensive sushi restaurant. I am comparing this to the medium priced sushi and this beats every one coming and going. The service left something to be desired but the food did not. The place was very crowded which may be one reason for the way we were served. I don’t think they have specials like this in the evening. If you just ordered the rainbow roll by itself, the cost is $10.95. Go for lunch and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment